Staff Sharing Webinar
SLGE staff and representatives from the Center for Sharing Public Health Services will be hosting a webinar on Thursday, July 19 at 1 PM ET to discuss both their case study research on cross-jurisdictional staff sharing arrangements and current work on an implementation checklist local government managers can use as they explore such arrangements in their own organizations, in public health services or beyond.
Workforce Research – Webinar Recording Posted
If you missed SLGE’s June webinar on recent state and local government workforce research – touching on recruitment, retirement, and everything in between – both the slide deck and a recording are now available.
The data come from State and Local Government Workforce: 2018 Data and 10 Year Trends and a related survey by SLGE in cooperation with the International Public Management Association for Human Resources (IPMA-HR) and the National Association of State Personnel Executives (NASPE).
More Workforce Discussion This Fall
The International City/County Management Association annual conference will include a track of sessions on workforce issues, including some that are organized by SLGE.
- The State of Local Retirement and Health Benefits – a benefits and OPEB discussion co-presented by SLGE and NLC
- Is Your Workforce Financially Literate? – a roundtable discussion informed by SLGE survey research, and exploring ways to meet the financial planning needs of staff at various stages of their careers or at differing levels of background understanding
- Abuse and Addiction: It’s in Your Workforce, Too
- Leadership Development Starts Day One
- Progressive Era vs. Google Era Workforce Rules
- We, Not Me: Beyond Service Awards
- Police Officer Recruitment: Getting Results
- Job Purposes, Not Job Descriptions
The conference will be in Baltimore, Maryland, September 23-26.
Examining Other Post-Employment Benefits
Attending the upcoming National Association of State Budget Officers’ Conference – July 22-25. SLGE’s Joshua Franzel will be there discussing trends in state (and local) retiree health benefit offerings. For more information please see the conference agenda.
Research Fellowships Available
ICMA has opened four research fellowships in local government. Research may include: civic engagement; diversity, equity & inclusion; infrastructure development and financing; performance analytics; public health; resilient communities; smart technology; and other topics. Download the request for proposals for more details.
SLGE in the News
SLGE’s workforce research is featured in the Weekly Pulse podcast, as well as Governing, Route Fifty, PA Times, BenefitsPro, and American City & County. In July, staff will also be sharing information technology staffing data with the National Association of State Chief Information Officers.